The American Bankruptcy Institute ("ABI") is pleased to invite students to participate in its Sixth Annual ABI Bankruptcy Law Student Writing Competition. First, Second and Third Place prizes will be awarded.
We invite papers on current issues regarding bankruptcy jurisdiction, bankruptcy litigation, or evidence in bankruptcy cases or proceedings. The paper may address business or consumer cases and may include matters such as bankruptcy sales, plan confirmation and other topics that involve jurisdiction, litigation or evidence in the bankruptcy courts.
DATES OF COMPETITION
Papers must be submitted no later than March 3, 2014. Papers need to have been written since the close of last year's competition (anytime after March 1, 2013). We encourage those professors teaching bankruptcy law classes during the fall semester to let students know about the competition so that they can prepare papers during their fall classes for submission. Our hope is that the competition will dovetail nicely with any fall legal writing or advanced bankruptcy courses so that students can satisfy one of their writing requirements while creating an entry for the competition.
Available awards include $4,000 in prize money and publication in the prestigious ABI Journal
and ABI committee newsletters. Winners of the competition will be announced in April 2014 and will be presented with certificates from ABI recognizing their achievement. In addition, law schools will be notified so that this achievement can be noted in students’ records. We will also provide one-year ABI memberships to all students who participate.
- The First Place Winner, sponsored by Invotex, will receive a prize of $2,000, plus publication of his or her paper in the prestigious ABI Journal and a one-year ABI membership.
- The Second Place Winner, sponsored by Jenner & Block LLP, will receive a cash prize of $1,250, plus publication of his or her paper in an ABI committee newsletter and a one-year ABI membership.
- The Third Place Winner, sponsored by Thompson & Knight LLP, will receive a cash prize of $750, plus publication of his or her paper in an ABI committee newsletter and a one-year ABI membership.
Papers must be 10-12 double-spaced pages (including footnotes) on 8.5 x 11" paper with 1" margins. Papers must be written in 12 point, Times New Roman font. Papers must otherwise comply with the Guidelines for submissions found at http://papers.abi.org/guidelines
, and must include numbered pages. Papers will be submitted by students uploading the papers in PDF format to the ABI's website at the following URL on or before March 3, 2014: http://papers.abi.org
- Papers submitted must be in PDF form with a '.pdf' extension.
- Maximum size allowed is 2MB.
- Maximum number of pages allowed is 12.
- Papers must have been written after March 1, 2013.
- Only one paper may be submitted per student. If a mistake was made, please create a new account to submit the paper.
- Contest winners will be contacted by email.
- Winners must agree to have their papers edited by ABI staff and leaders prior to publication.
For more information, please contact email@example.com